Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Raining, Pouring and All That Mumbo Jumbo.

A friend posted in her blog that she hoped her reader’s lives were “less chaotic than [hers] right now.” Well friend, I’m here to tell you… they are not.

So, Jason and I have a LOT going on in our lives right now. For those of you who don’t already know, we are expecting an actual human addition to our household and not another puppy this time. Around mid to late March, our lives will be consumed with the omnipresent needs of a helpless infant. Ah, parenthood looms. So while I’m gestating I’m also planning, preparing, cleaning, and worrying like crazy. I don’t attempt to know when the intense fear will go away; if ever, so just keep your fingers crossed for us.

As if incubating another human being wasn’t enough… there’s more! We’re moving. Granted we are only moving about 5 miles away, the change is still huge for us. Our current house, charming as it is, is only about 930 square feet. We dance around each other in the kitchen and bedroom and have to stagger our bathroom time in order to avoid accidentally stabbing each other with our toothbrushes or razors. Our new place still has three bedrooms, but it has two full bathrooms, a gigantic living room, a big square kitchen with room for a kitchen table, a separate dining (see, our plans), a two-car garage and “ahhhhhhhhhhhh” a utility room for our washer and dryer! Oh, how such simple things bring me joy.

As you might expect, the trade off for such a ginormous, grown-up place is that the house needs some T.L.C., and by T.L.C. I mean destruction, renovation, building, paint, flooring and more. We have big plans. The dining room is lovely, but in a weird spot, plus we don’t even have a dining room table, just one for the kitchen. We aren’t formal diners anyway, so we have decided to try and enclose this superfluous space, add double glass doors and convert it into our home office. Lots to do, so expect calls for help.

Okay, so what have we so far… helpless infant, new house… OH, I’ve been terminated from my job too. Yeah. Well, just mere moments after returning to work after my first O.B. appointment, my boss told me that my due date was inconvenient and that he wanted to replace me by December. And yes, it is legal so, watch out. Being “heavy with child” as I will be by December, I’m guessing I’ll be an unlikely candidate for a new and rewarding position elsewhere. I have no choice but to attempt to work from home or temp (another subject entirely) until the summer. So, there’s that.

Ah, let’s see… then there’s the oft overlooked fact that Jason is likely to begin graduate school in February. We decided November was full enough already, so February is more likely.

To add to our drama, my sister, the one who has recently been spending lots of time with “Kiki from the penitentiary” is set for release in about a week. My mom is driving there to “claim” her and take her to her next destination—a non-mandatory thing that I don’t fully understand. Plus, my nephew who also recently spent some time in the clink is now living with my parents and a regular part of our lives. That part is nice.

Well, I could actually tell you more, but I’ll just let that digest for now. So, there is so much going on in my life right now: some is exciting, some is scary, and some is still up in the air at this point. That’s life, right?

Not mine. :)

No comments: