Wednesday, October 18, 2006

What To Do With a Day

Someone somewhere had a brilliant thought--Mother’s Day Out. Love it. For a few months of motherhood, I thought I didn’t need this luxury, but I’m here to tell you, it’s awesome! For just a few hours, two days a week, I’m able to indulge in my thoughts, get a manicure, play a video game uninterrupted or even catch a movie! It’s shockingly easy to lose yourself in motherhood—to find yourself in paraphrased pajamas day after day, to forget how to apply mascara and learn your hair is in dire need of a trimming and worst of all, to forget you have independent thoughts outside your role as a parent. I’m relieved to discover that I don’t actually find Jager’s transition from stage 1 carrots to stage 2 carrots as exciting as previously assumed. I’m still me, just generally dirtier.
Currently, I’m sitting in the corner of a coffee shop with Wifi drinking a coffee and shivering with the speed of my thoughts and the fact that I’m sitting next to a huge window and it’s cold outside. I’m happy right now.
Later I’ll pick up my orange headed son and we’ll goof around until we have to be somewhere tonight. I’ll be happy then too.

No comments: