Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Congratulations, it’s a…



Today was our 18 week ultrasound.

For those of you who actually read this and didn’t already know, I am pregnant again. This whole pregnancy has gone by so fast and so far, has been the easiest one of my life. Yeah! Well, the time has arrived for the dreaded anatomy ultrasound (the one where most people get all excited about finding out their baby’s gender).

I hate this test because they check for all kinds of abnormalities and problems too. It makes me so nervous that today; I actually broke out in hives for the first time in my entire life! My chest looked like I had poorly sprayed sunblock on it then spent the entire day in the Egyptian desert—a blotchy red mess! I only noticed it this morning. As soon as we left the OB’s office and sat down to breakfast, I realized that my chest was clear again. What the heck was that about!? I don’t think that even happened to me the last time I had this ultrasound with my son. Wow, my anxiety must have been off the charts today.

From what the ultrasound tech told us, our newest addition looks normal and healthy. I couldn’t ask for much more than that. Oh, except to know the gender maybe. This is where it gets fun. First of all, "Number 2" (what we call this baby) was not feeling particularly cooperative today in this area. He/She kept it's hand over the parts we needed to see. The Tech could not get a clear picture until after I emptied my "full bladder" and did a few jumping jacks. I was stopped just short of doing a handstand. Long story short, Number 2 finally cooperated after that.

Believe it or not, we (being Jason and I) never even intended to find out the gender today. I find the test too stressful to enjoy that particular moment lying on my back with gunk on my swollen belly. We asked the tech to put the photo of the gender parts (nice term, huh?) in an envelope along with a copy of a flashcard we’ve been using to teach Jager the words, “boy” and “girl.” We asked her to toss the superfluous card and seal up the envelope for us to open later. We are going on vacation to Disney World in May so we thought it would fun to have Jager open it there somewhere and hope he’ll pull the flashcard and announce the gender of his first sibling to us. I know, I know we are totally cheesy parents, but everyone likes to have a fun story attached to their beginnings. For example: I am often reminded on my birthdays that I was “created” in a VW bus while on safari in Krugerland. Gross yes, fun… well, yes. I spare my offspring the dirty details of that very special… moment and simply make a big deal out of discovering a big part of who they are.

As the carrier of this child, I do have my feelings about what he/she is, but I’m keeping them to myself for now. I’ll let everyone know what it is when we find out. Until then, let’s keep it neutral, okay? :)

No comments: