Friday, September 21, 2007

Oh No You Did NOT!

On occasion I like to come to Panera for a bit of relaxing coffee/tea drinking and internet surfing. It’s pretty much the only time I can browse a few sites or get something done without a 3 foot red-head pulling on my pant leg.

I have a favorite little nook here at the Panera on N.W. Expressway. I’m relatively tucked away in this seat, but I have a good view of the door and can hear a lot of what people say. Perfect for my nosey ways. Well, I can hear a lot, but apparently I’m also something of a captive audience too. Last April, I was just talking to my mom about travel plans since I was browsing for flights. A woman who had clearly just wrapped up some kind of meeting kept looking over at me and finally made her way over to me, forcing me to remove my headphones in order to hear her. She was apparently involved in some sort of direct marketing travel business, an independently marketed business if you know what I mean. Yes. It was like Arbonne, but for travel. Crap! So I was dumb and gave her my real phone number. I’ve now learned my lesson. She called me so many times, literally nagging me to get involved with her junk business that I actually saved her number under the title “travel hag” just so I’d know when to ignore the call. Finally, I guess she gave up.

Today, it happened again! This is why there are no soliciting signs guys… read!! I’m sitting here once again enjoying a very limited amount of time to myself, not bothering ANYONE when a woman in group of three people in front of me who are also clearly having a meeting starts paying too much attention to me. Today the lead-in was my laptop skin—a burnt orange homage to the University of Texas of course (thanks Jason). So this lady chats with me for a moment about OU versus Texas and I’m happy to indulge her in a bit of mindless chit chat… until she stands up to introduce herself. I'm thinking, either you are lesbionically attracted to me which is unlikely considering I look awful today, or you are trying to sell me something. Oh no! I know where this is going and you can just sit back done missy. Honestly, I’d rather you hit on me than pull your crap to get me hooked into your lame scheme. But as her partner fetches me some information on this health drink thing they’re pedaling, she gives me her best knowing look and says, “I feel like there is something going on with your health and you should know about this product. I don’t know if it’s god or what…” I didn’t capitalize God there because clearly her god communicates through bizarre health related psychic messages sent through extremely unhealthy looking strangers!

You know, if she hadn’t just been having this meeting not three feet in front of me where I could hear every word, she might have shaken me up a bit. What bull! This makes me so mad I’m actually having a hard time not letting her read this exact blog post! Why do all these scams attatch God to their marketing strategies? Is it just good business to have the Almighty endorse your product and/or services?

I am involved in a direct marketing business myself. Only one business and it is the first and only one we’ve ever become involved with. Oh, you didn’t know that? Well, that’s because I’m not going to tell you about until I’m convinced it’s in your best interest. I can promise you that.

Oh, I hate being manipulated like this. Now, I'm going to have to make an appointment with my doctor for a physical because I'm paranoid. Stupid woman! :)

No comments: